Sunday, February 21, 2010

Boys and Bugs


Jack and Molly's cousin, Ben, had his 7th birthday on Friday. This year Ben wanted to take his friends and cousins to see the bugs. We got to visit an Entomologist at OSU. Entomology is the study of insects. Ben and his friends had a blast holding and touching the insects. My children were happy to stand back and watch the bigger boys touch the bugs. I got some really fun pictures of Ben and his friends with the bugs. Unfortunately, I don't know these boys or their mothers, so I left them off the blog. Too bad, because the expressions on their faces are hilarious.

Molly and Sara. The age difference between these two is the same as Jack and Ben. I hope these two girls grow to love each other like Jack and Ben.
When I told Jack that Ben was turning 7, Jack started crying. I asked him why he was crying and he told me, " I don't want him to be bigger than me. I want to be just like Ben!" It was the sweetest sad face ever. Jack idolizes Ben and we are so lucky that they live so close.

Some of the boys held this disgusting scorpion. They were fearless.

Aaron wanted to hold the tarantula. Jack stood across the room when this hairy guy came out.

This is a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. I actually touched this one.
Jack touched this cockroach for a few seconds. Then he panicked and told me that the bug peed on him. I think he heard the older boys saying this.


Not sure what this one was. But, it was huge and the boys liked letting it crawl up their arms.
Missed the name of this one too. I did hear Mr. Bug Guy say that he looks like leaves. This insect moved very slowly and when he would stop walking, he would sway like the leaves on a tree.
These three are just cute. Molly had a pretty good time playing with the microscopes and checking out all of the blue butterflies. Molly is obsessed with the color blue.
Overall, it was a great birthday and we were happy to celebrate it with Ben.






2 comments:

Rick and Kylee said...

How freaking awesome! I wish I could have had my birthday at OSU. Aaron, was that spider's name Wussel?

Rick and Kylee said...

p.s. Becky, great job at keeping the blog up to date. It makes me feel like I am actually a better friend because I know about your kids.